You may have noticed by now, that "Moving the Needle" closely resembles the path that a relationship takes. No, it's not a coincidence - we are selling to real human beings after all. After courting your customers ("You Had Me at Hello") and establishing the foundations of a real relationship ("We're Past the Infatuation Stage"), the final step is to cement that bond.
For As Long As You Both Shall...Do Business
While there is noone getting down on one knee or reciting of vows, to gain your customers loyalty you must show them that you know them and are taking a vested interest in keeping them around. The challenge is, how do you accomplish this in a digital environment?
Help Them Make the Most of Their Purchase
Shoppers are continuing to make more complicated purchases online. Use both real estate on your site and your post-purchase efforts to give shoppers the information they need to fully enjoy (and maybe even fully use) their purchases. In electronics, this could mean complementary accessories such as cords or batteries. In fashion, it could mean the perfect necklace or earrings to go with that dress.
- By injecting product recommendations for these items on the cart page, customers can add them to their purchase before they've checked-out completely.
- Another underutilized technique is including these products in transactional messages (i.e.. Order Confirmation or Shipping). With these types of communications being opened, on average, by 80% of shoppers it is a great way to capture eyeballs and provide additional value, even encouraging customers to return quickly with a promotional offer.
Show Them That You Know Them… Every Time They Visit
It's the same as the surprise "just because..." flower delivery at the office. Customers like to be known and shown gratitude for their business with more than just a once-a-year “Appreciation Sale.” Use the data you’ve gathered throughout the buying process to personalize the user experience every time a customer visits your site.
- Showing “Recently Viewed” items is a simple way to engage consumers that return to your site on a more regular basis and to remind them what they were shopping for in their previous sessions.
- Devoting a section of the page to “Recommendations Just For You” ups the ante by displaying your knowledge of that individual’s likes, wants and needs.
- Expanding this strategy into a “Recommendations Just For You” email sent regularly to your most valuable customers rounds out a completely personalized shopping experience.
Who is iGoDigital?
iGoDigital is a leader in personalization and user experience tools for eCommerce. If you are interested in learning more about best practices for the holiday season or how our Toolbox of Services can help you engage with shoppers to drive additional conversions and incremental revenue contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.